Thursday, February 10, 2011

And a light bulb went off...

About two weeks ago I lost my very expensive iPhone4... much to my original dismay I have since realized that it was a blessing. Sure I had to spend $750 to replace it (luckily work helped me out with that one) and it was a nuisance not being able to instantly contact people when the mood hit me. But, for the first time in weeks I did whatever I wanted on the weekend. I paid more attention to the things surrounding me.

The light bulb moments:

- How often am I talking to someone and they pull out a mobile phone to contact someone else? How does that reflect on our conversation, is the person on the other end of the phone more important? Why don’t I value the face to face time that I get with people, in the scheme of things it really isn’t that much time.

- When do I need to know about things? Is it as they happen? Does that actually increase my happiness? I am better served taking a portion of my day to get updated on the on goings of the world and to participate and be present more throughout the day.

- Learn to say “no” more. If I don’t attend everything it is okay... if I decide that I want a night at home, that is okay too! If something is important enough, someone will tell me.

- Do it without a soundtrack.... this one is really hard! I love music, it makes me incredibly happy. It can change my mood, make my day, motivate me to push myself, or distract me from reality. But maybe more reality isn’t such a bad thing. When I don’t have my headphones in I talk to more people and step outside my bubble. I am probably more polite (even though I am a firm believer in talking out headphones when in enclosed environments and when dealing with customer service people).

So what am I going to change? I am not going to listen to my iPod at least one or two days a week when out and about in city. I am going to be more present when hanging out with people in person. I am going to set aside time to “catch up on news/events.” And I am going to lower people’s expectations of electronic communication.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with point 1. I was a bit disconcerted the other night when we sat down at the pub when one guy pulled out his phone to do internet banking, and the other pulled out his to check facebook for 10 minutes. Although I know I was guilty of doing stuff like that occasionally back in oz - 2 player flight controller anyone? - so I can't cast stones.
Trying to decide whether I want to go back to being connected, after 9 months of no real phone service. Downside is that mobiles are expensive here and I'll start fact checking conversations with wikipedia again. Upside, no more having to find free wifi when I get lost!

S. said...

I've been in Toronto now for 18 months and I've noticed all of your comments happening. I pity the people who plan a nice supper only to sit there alone because their partner is on the phone the whole time - I've seen it time and again. The music - every second person here has earphones in so there is very little communication going on - are people becoming socially inept because they can't communicate verbally! I've also noticed that, when the earphones finally come out, people practically shout to be heard - their hearing is going at a very young age. I commend you, Amanda, with a view to your "changes". You go, girl - living in the present is not so bad!