Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Go Canucks!

As a new Vancouverite it is only right that I cheer on the Cancuks or shake my head in disappointment at appropriate moments. While I greatly enjoy watching hockey, particularly in person, I am uncertain if I would spend the big bucks to attend a Canucks game. Fortunately for my cultural education my friend Krista got free tickets and invited me to go. Favorite part? The fans! The aggressive grandma’s, overweight cursing ‘sports junky’ and the dolled up tarts are by far my favorite of the fans. If there was ever a time to people watch, sports is it! However maybe the correct term would be people listen, because clearly I want to watch the game as the Canucks just pulled it together in order to win.

Nothing beats the smell of off cheese, hot dogs, ice and perfume (from the ladies there to get a man), the cheer of the crowd as a fight breaks out (on or off the ice) and a mascot getting a little aggressive. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, one I am sure that I will want to experience again. In my mind I still prefer NBA games, but sadly there is no team in Van. Favorite sports to watch are currently basketball (preferably NCAA) and a tie between hockey and Australian footy.

No comments: