Friday, January 8, 2010

The hunt begins...

I am anxiously entering the apartment hunt... nervous because it means that I settle down and start to own things again, worried because I have no idea what half of these places will look like, overwhelmed by the ridiculous cost of things and excited because I will actually have a place of my own!

I have narrowed down that I am interested in living in Kits (Kitsalano) or West End (downtown). I want a place that has a good amount of light, somewhere to store a bike, near public transportation and has one bedroom. It might be a lot to ask. However, from what I hear, Vancouver is a renters market. With a fairly high vacancy rate it is a good place to be in search of a place. Ideally I would like to find a place that I would consider staying in for a couple of years.

Tonight I am viewing my first place; it is a heritage apartment building... my expectations are not that high. I like the idea of heritage buildings, they are a bit more cozy (hopefully not freezing) and if done right tend to have a homey/eclectic feeling to them. I also like modern/clean looks. The place I get will dictate what furniture, colors and look I go for. It’s an exciting and expensive time!

The couple I am subletting from gets back on the 22nd, so ideally I would find somewhere before then. Most likely I will find somewhere that starts Feb 1st. It means a week of sleeping on a pull out, but I am sure that won’t be so bad, however not ideal. The race is on!! This weekend will be dedicated to the hunt... I’ll keep you posted.

In totally unrelated, but super exciting news, I am going to stand for Jill and Colin’s wedding in November at home. I am super excited for both of them and love that they are doing as sustainable a wedding as Newfoundland will allow. I feel like my trips home over the next couple of years will revolve around weddings, what an exciting reason to go home!

1 comment:

Peggy & Carlos said...

There's a strong smell of "cooked turkey" blowing in from TO !!! Enjoy.....